Skip to content Call
A woman talking on mobile phone, she is standing outside looking into the distance, only the side of her face and hair is in view.

How to make a complaint

If you’re not happy with your child’s services or supports, you can talk to someone about your concerns.

Making a complaint is a good way to help improve services. It’s important for services to know what you’re concerned about so they can make their service better for you and others.

There are a number of organisations that protect the rights of people with a disability and their families in Victoria. They can look into your complaint and take action.

If you’re not sure which organisation to contact, they can all help you find the right way to make your complaint. They can also provide information in other languages or an interpreter if you need one.

It’s a good idea to put your complaint in writing and to keep notes of any phone conversations. Note the date, time, person you spoke to and what advice or information you received. It also helps to write down and be clear on what your complaint is about before you seek advice.

Your concernWho to contact
The standard of work, skill or safety of a disability worker, including Support Workers, Education Support Officers or other people supporting your child’s disability needsVictorian Disability Worker Commission
Call 1800 497 132
The quality or safety of an NDIS funded serviceNDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission
Call 1800 035 544
Abuse of your child at school or by a serviceCommission for Children and Young PeopleReportable Conduct Scheme
NDIA action or decisionNational Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)
Call 1800 800 110
Feedback and complaints
How to request an internal review of a decision
Request a review of a decision
Complaints about Australian Government ServicesCommonwealth Ombudsman – National Disability Insurance Scheme
The quality or safety of a non-NDIS disability serviceDisability Services Commissioner
Call 1800 677 342
Mental health serviceMental Health Complaints Commissioner
Call 1800 246 054
Health serviceHealth Complaints Commissioner
Call 1300 582 113
DiscriminationVictorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission
Call 1300 292 153

Victorian Disability Worker Commission (VDWC)
The VDWC is an independent agency that sets out a Code of Conduct with minimum expectations for all workers supporting people with disability for both registered and unregistered disability workers.

It works to enforce the Disability Service Safeguards Act 2018 (Vic) and has the power to investigate and ban workers who put people’s safety at risk.

NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission (NDIS Commission)
The NDIS Commission makes sure that NDIS providers give good quality services and supports and keep people with disability safe.

You can complain about NDIS services and supports if you have been hurt or treated badly, if something has gone wrong, is not working well or has not been done the right way.

The NDIS Commission deals with the registration and regulation of providers, compliance, complaints, reportable incidents, restrictive practices and worker screening. They also provide worker training that explains the obligations of workers under the NDIS Code of Conduct.

The NDIS Commission does not regulate the NDIA. Any issues or concerns with the NDIA or NDIS Plans should be made directly to the NDIA.

Commission for Children and Young People Reportable Conduct Scheme
If you have a reasonable belief your child has been abused you can make a report to the Commission for Children and Young People. Reportable conduct includes: sexual abuse, sexual misconduct, physical violence, behaviour that causes significant emotional or psychological harm or significant neglect.

National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)
The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) is an independent agency that implements the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

Commonwealth Ombudsman
The Commonwealth Ombudsman may be able to help you resolve a complaint if you feel that an Australian Government agency has treated you unfairly or unreasonably.

Disability Services Commissioner (DSC)
The DSC handles complaints about non-NDIS Victorian disability services that are registered with the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (DFFH). This includes DFFS transfer houses, DFFS funded disability services, TAC funded disability services, services for people with a disability outside the NDIS, and all existing clients that have not transitioned to the NDIS.

Mental Health Complaints Commissioner (MHCC)
The MHCC handles with complaints about public mental health services in Victoria, including issues such as access, treatment and care.

Health Complaints Commissioner (HCC)
If you’re not satisfied with a health service provider’s response to your concerns, you can lodge a complaint with the HCC.

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC)
If you think your child has experienced discrimination, you can make a complaint to the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC). The Commission provides a free dispute resolution service to help you resolve your complaint and understand your rights.

Victorian Disability Worker Commission Code of Conduct
NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission eLearning
Commission for Children and Young People Reportable Conduct Scheme
Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission