Testimonial: "Just knowing that others understand what our life can be like is so good.” - Parent
For over 40 years ACD has been supporting children with disability and their families across Victoria.
Our vision is for children with disability and their families to have the same rights and opportunities as other children and families.
We are a not-for-profit organisation led by and for families of children with disability.
- We empower families with knowledge, skills and confidence to achieve the best for their children.
- We advocate for children with disability and their families.
- We educate service providers, professionals and the community to be inclusive of children with disability and to work in partnership with families.
- We influence government and public policy to advance the rights of children with disability and their families.
ACD supports all families in Victoria with children with disability aged 0 to 18 years old.
For families and professionals we offer:
In 1980 a small group of families of children with disability met to try and stop the closure of a respite facility for children. They went on to establish the Association for Children with Disability (ACD).
What began from self-interest soon moved to a cause much greater as they tackled other issues affecting all children with disability. They had ideas about how the system and services could be improved. They worked collectively for positive change in the community.
These families were trail-blazers and led the way for others who would follow. These families hoped for a better future for their children.
Forty years have passed but many of the issues are still relevant today. Families then, and now, fought for:
- Inclusive education
- Early intervention
- In-home help
- Funding for assistive technology
- Adequate respite
- Successfully campaigned for students with disability to be prioritised in the government COVID-19 response
- Advocated for NDIS reforms that were supported by the Tune Review final report
- Successfully advocated for Mental Health Practitioners in Schools to include specialist schools
- Successfully campaigned to address waiting times for children to access Early Childhood Early Intervention Plans
- Advocated for children with disability and families during the NDIS rollout including quality and safeguarding
- Successfully campaigned for expansion of Changing Places across Victoria
- Successfully campaigned for better funding for early intervention and support to attend preschool
- Developed action plan with Royal Children’s Hospital to better support rural families
- Campaigned on addressing the gap between Commonwealth State Territory Disability Agreement
- Successfully campaigned for widening eligibility criteria for Disabled Parking Scheme
- Successfully campaigned for expansion of home help services through the Home and Community Care (HACC) program
- Successfully campaigned for supervisors and seat belts on school buses
- Successfully appealed decision of the Handicapped Child’s Allowance that exempted children in preschool and those attending early intervention programs
- Successfully campaigned for additional funding through the Program of Aids for Disabled People to address backlog
- Successfully campaigned for HACC personal cares services to be provided by Support Workers not qualified nurses