Skip to content

Counselling and support

Mother and son laughing in the park.

Counselling and support

Counselling and support is available to help you and your family through difficult times.

Every family is different, and everyone responds differently to challenges in life. It’s a healthy positive action to seek help and talk about things with someone you trust. This can happen informally by talking with other parents and friends, or more formally by speaking with a health professional.

How can I get counselling and support?

You can get free counselling and support to help with depression and anxiety, parenting, financial pressure and relationship stress.

Talk to your Maternal and Child Health nurse or GP to find out what type of support would best suit you. This could include face-to-face counselling, telephone support, joining a group or accessing support online. Your GP can also tell you if you can access support through a Mental Health Care Plan where some of the cost is covered by Medicare.

Parents of children with disability can get free counselling support through:

Carer Gateway

Call 1800 422 737 or visit the Carer Gateway website

How else can I get help?

A number of helplines also provide free and confidential counselling support:


Call 132 289 (8am to midnight, 7 days a week)

Maternal and Child Health Line

Call 13 22 29 (24 hours)

Family Relationship Support for Carers

Call 1300 303 346 or visit the Each website

Relationships Australia

Call 1300 303 346 or visit the Relationships Australia Victoria website


24-hour telephone and online counselling.

Call 131 114 or visit the Lifeline website

MensLine Australia

Call 1300 789 978 (24 hours) or visit the Mensline website

National Debt Helpline

Free financial counselling.

Call 1800 007 007 (Mon-Fri) or visit the National Debt Helpline website


National Sexual Assault Family Domestic Violence Counselling Service

Call 1800 737 732 (24 hours) or visit the 1800 RESPECT website

Related topics

Strengthening Parent Support Coordinators
Financial assistance