Skip to content Call 03 9880 7000
A school boy gives his mother a high-five as she leaves the classroom. Both are smiling.

Toileting and other support at school

Schools must provide toileting, eating and drinking and complex medical care support to children who need it because of their disability.

Who can get toileting support

Toileting or continence support in school is provided to students with a range of needs. Including students who:

  • Need reminding to go
  • Need help wiping or hand washing
  • Need help with menstruation
  • Have life-long complex conditions which affects their bladder or bowel
  • Wet or soil themselves unexpectedly

Your child does not need to receive funding from the Program for Students with Disability or Disability Inclusion to receive toileting support.

Who can get eating and drink support

Help with eating and drinking is provided to students with a range of needs including students who:

  • Need a calm environment with positive reinforcement
  • Need positioning for safety and comfort
  • Need close supervision to prevent choking

Who can get complex medical care

  • Tracheostomy care
  • Seizure management
  • Medication by injection or rectal suppository
  • Administering suction
  • Tube feeding
  • Specialised medical procedures

School can access training from the Royal Children’s Hospital in complex medical care as part of the Schoolcare Program.

Making a plan

The best starting point is to make a Student Health Support Plan.

Parents, school staff and allied health therapists who know your child should have input into the plan.

Health practitioners also need to give advice:

Once you have a plan in place schools should not call families to pick up their child if they have wet or soiled themselves.

What families can do to help

  • Notify the school of your child’s support needs.
  • Get your child’s medical practitioner to complete the right form
  • Work with the school to make a Student Health Support Plan
  • For students with toileting support needs: pack spare change of clothes, and a wet bag (water-proof bag for soiled clothing) and pack continence products (wipes, catheters, pads etc)


Department of Education Continence Care Policy

Department of Education Eating and Drinking Supervision Policy

Department of Education Health Care Needs policy


Student Health Support Plan

Forms to be completed by health practitioners

Personal Care Medical Advice Form for a student who requires support for CONTINENCE

Personal Care Medical Advice Form for a student who requires support for Oral Eating and Drinking

General Medical Advice Form

Additional support

Schoolcare program

Epilepsy Smart Schools

Toilet tactics from the Continence Foundation