Skip to content Call 03 9880 7000
A boy with down syndrome fixes a bike with his father on the driveway.

Your teenager and Medicare and Centrelink

When your child turns 14, the services and supports you use can change. For some things your child will be considered an adult. 

When should I start planning?


Once a child turns 14, families are no longer able to access a child’s Medicare records. To act as a nominee for Medicare issues, you need to fill out the following form: Authorisation to act on an incapacitated persons behalf for Medicare.

Once your child turns 16 your benefits may change and there maybe new options for your child. You will need to look at the eligibility criteria to see what suits your child and family circumstances. The application process is quite involved so allow plenty of time.

What do I need to prepare?

You will need to provide copies of supporting documents such as your child’s birth certificate, Medicare card, school reports, medical reports, bank statements, tax file numbers and set up a bank account in your child’s name. Keep a copy of all completed forms and documents.

What payments might my child be eligible for?

Your child may be eligible for:

1. Disability Support Pension (DSP)

A payment that assists people with a permanent physical, intellectual or psychiatric condition that stops them from working more than 15 hours a week.

Resources to help you and your child understand and apply for the DSP:

DSP & Me: Your Guide to the Disability Support Pension

DSP Help: Helping people access the DSP

Disability Support Pension

2. Pensioner Education Supplement

A payment that assists with the costs of full or part-time study.

Pensioner Education Supplement

3. Education Entry Payment

A payment that assists with the costs of returning to study.

Education Entry Payment

4. Ex Carer Allowance (child) Health Care Card

Assists full-time students with a disability and severe medical condition to access cheaper medicines and some other concessions. The card can be claimed by students in receipt of a Carer Allowance Health Care Card prior to their 16th birthday.

Ex Carer Allowance (child) Health Care Card

5. Mobility Allowance for people who are not eligible for the NDIS

This is an income support payment for people with disability aged 16 or over who cannot use public transport without substantial assistance and are required to travel to and from their home for work, study, training or job search.

Your child cannot receive Mobility Allowance if they have an NDIS Plan.

Mobility Allowance

Authorising a nominee

Allows you to act on behalf of your child when dealing with Centrelink. Family members can also register for online services with Centrelink.

Authorising a nominee

Do my own payments change once my child turns 16?

Your payments, such as the Carer Payment and Carer Allowance, change when your child turns 16. Centrelink will contact you and you need to apply for a transfer to keep receiving the payment.

Transfer Carer Payment or Carer Allowance from child to adult

Services Australia