Useful links: Pathways to support

acd resource rock solid X09

These are some links to websites of other organisations that can support you.

Click on the links below to find the organisation’s contact details, and ring them for support.

If you need support for your child, including at school or in kindergarten, ring us at the Association for Children with a Disability (ACD) on (03) 9818 2000, and ask to speak to our support team.

Koorie Education Coordinators

You can contact the Department of Education and Training office in your region, and ask to speak to the regional Koorie Education Coordinator. Their names and contact details are listed on this page. They can arrange a Koorie Education Support Officer (KESO) to support your child at school.

Victorian Aboriginal Education Association Inc (VAEAI)

VAEAI is the peak Koorie community organisation for education and training, which provides information and support for community and education providers. Visit their website for resources and links, including about early education, kindergarten, school and post-school education.

Victorian Aboriginal Health Service and Victorian Aboriginal Coops

If you want to find out information about your child’s special needs or get a diagnosis, seeing a GP at your local Aboriginal health service is a good place to start.

Ask your local council

Your local council provides support for people with special needs, including practical support, Deaf Access and Metro or Rural Access Workers. Some Councils such as Hume, Darebin and Sunraysia, have special groups and programs for Aboriginal families.

Stand up for your rights

The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC) has an Aboriginal Officer, and a newsletter Yarn Up, about Aboriginal human rights. Anyone has the right to take a concern or complaint to VHEORC. You can also find out more about how to make a complaint through the Learning Together resources on the ACD website.

Commissioner for Aboriginal Children and Young People

Victoria has a Commissioner for Aboriginal Children and Young People, who can help support and speak up for children and young people’s welfare, safety and wellbeing, including those in out of home care and juvenile justice.

Office of the Public Advocate

The Office of the Public Advocate supports people with special needs and their families, including in relation to education pathways, guardianship and powers of attorney.