School options

acd resource rock solid 014-2

These are the main school options for children with special needs.

All children have the right to go to a mainstream school. Some children might also have the choice of a specialist school. Or you might be able to choose ‘dual enrolment’, where a child spends part of the week in mainstream, and part in a specialist school. The previous page talks about how to go about choosing a school.

Mainstream schools

Your child has the right to attend the government school nearest your home – their ‘local neighbourhood school’. If you prefer a school further away, you can apply for a place there. Some families choose a school because there are other Aboriginal families or Koorie education workers there, or because the school might be more inclusive and respectful of Aboriginal culture.

Many families choose a mainstream school so that their child can be with siblings or other family members. Having family amongst the students and staff makes school easier for Janine’s younger son, and for her too.

Specialist schools

Some families choose a specialist school because of their child’s particular needs, and the programs the school offers. There are specialist schools for children who are Deaf and/or Blind, for children with physical disabilities, for children with autism and for children with an intellectual disability.

Your child might need to do tests, to see what kind of school will suit them. They might do an IQ test, which is to find out their understanding level. If your child scores above 50 in the IQ test, they may be able to attend a ‘special school’. If they score below 50, they may be able attend a ‘special development school’. Both schools offer learning, but the curriculum is different. Special development schools focus more on basic life skills and communication.

Stacey has seen a huge improvement in her young boy’s development since he started school:

Uncle Henry’s oldest girl has just started secondary school. She is picked up from home by the school bus, which has supported her attendance at school.

Catholic and independent schools

You could also try a Catholic or independent school. Most are mainstream, but there are some specialist schools. There are also some mainstream schools that also have alternative programs. Some alternative schools or programs might really suit some children with special needs, like Aunty Faye’s boy.

Alternative educational pathways programs

Towards the end of your child’s secondary schooling, the school might offer them an alternative educational pathways program. Not all programs are accessible for people with disabilities, but they can be good pathway to other options like TAFE. Some are based in schools, others in community services. They often have smaller classes, and are more student-focussed than most mainstream schools. There are some programs especially for Aboriginal young people.

Find out about alternative education pathways from the careers officer, Integration coordinator or Koorie educator at school. Or you can ask your local coop, local Council, Department of Human Services or Office of Aboriginal Affairs.