Skip to content

How to make a complaint about a disability or health service

A woman talking on mobile phone, she is standing outside looking into the distance, only the side of her face and hair is in view.

How to make a complaint about a disability or health service

If you’re not happy with your child’s disability or health service, you can talk to someone about your concerns.

Making a complaint is a good way to help improve services. It’s important for services to know what you’re concerned about so they can make their service better for you and others.

There are a number of organisations that protect the rights of people with a disability and their families in Victoria. They can look into your complaint and take action.

If you’re not sure which organisation to contact, they can all help you find the right way to make your complaint. They can also provide information in other languages or an interpreter if you need one.

It’s a good idea to put your complaint in writing and to keep notes of any phone conversations. Note the date, time, person you spoke to and what advice or information you received. It also helps to write down and be clear on what your complaint is about before you seek advice.

Your concernWho to contact
Disability support workerVictorian Disability Worker Commission
Call 1800 497 132 or use the online form
NDIS funded serviceNDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission
Call 1800 035 544 or use the online form
NDIA action or decisionNational Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)
Call 1800 800 110
NDIA feedback and complaints
NDIA Review of an internal decision

Commonwealth Ombudsman
Call 1300 362 072
Making complaints to agencies
Non-NDIS disability serviceDisability Services Commissioner
Call 1800 035 544 or use the online form
Mental health serviceMental Health Complaints Commissioner
Call 1800 246 054 or use the online form
Health serviceHealth Complaints Commissioner
Call 1300 582 113 or use the online form

Victorian Disability Worker Commission (VDWC)

The VDWC is an independent agency that sets out a Code of Conduct with minimum expectations for all workers supporting people with disability. This applies to both registered and unregistered disability workers. It works to enforce the Disability Service Safeguards Act 2018 (Vic) and has the power to investigate and ban workers who put people’s safety at risk.

NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission (NDIS Commission)

The NDIS Commission is an independent agency set up to improve the quality and safety of NDIS supports and services. This includes:

  • National registration and regulation of providers
  • Compliance with the NDIS Practice Standards and NDIS Code of Conduct
  • Complaints about NDIS services and supports
  • Reportable incidents, including abuse and neglect of a participant
  • Use of restrictive practices
  • Nationally consistent NDIS worker screening

The Quality, Safety and You Worker Orientation Module explains the obligations of workers under the NDIS Code of Conduct.

The NDIS Commission does not regulate the NDIA. Any issues or concerns with the NDIA or NDIS Plans should be made directly to the NDIA.

National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)

The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) is an independent agency that implements the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

Commonwealth Ombudsman

The Commonwealth Ombudsman may be able to help you resolve a complaint if you feel that an Australian Government agency has treated you unfairly or unreasonably.

Disability Services Commissioner (DSC)

The DSC handles complaints about non-NDIS Victorian disability services that are registered with the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). This includes:

  • DHHS transfer houses
  • DHHS funded disability services
  • TAC funded disability services
  • Services for people with a disability outside the NDIS
  • All existing clients that have not transitioned to the NDIS

Mental Health Complaints Commissioner (MHCC)

The MHCC handles with complaints about public mental health services in Victoria, including issues such as access, treatment and care.

Health Complaints Commissioner (HCC)

If you’re not satisfied with a health service provider’s response to your concerns, you can lodge a complaint with the HCC.

Related topics

Advocating for your child
Counselling and support